This website's source has been added to GitHub.
This website is built with Lektor and HTML5 Boilerplate
Neuron is my new project for creating Python desktop applications with web technologies.
It’s a sample project that can be downloaded and rebranded.
I needed a way to create a portable virtualenv but the answers I came across online were suggesting solutions like py2exe or cxfreeze which are “too much”.
I need a simple way to make that virtualenv portable so that it can be activated anywhere.
I came up with a solution that is working well, but it has only been tested with a few Python packages.
First, create your virtualenv on the same OS that it will be deployed on.
Now you must write a script to accomplish the following goals, which will make the env portable. This script will need to run every time that the ENV is moved.
- Create a variable called new_env which will store the path to the ENV folder’s new location, including the folder name
- Open ENV/bin/activate and change every line that starts with VIRTUAL_ENV to reflect the new path
- Now loop through every file in ENV/bin
- Open the file, and if the first line starts with “#!”, it’s likely pointing to the ENV’s Python. That line needs to be rewritten to reflect the new path to Python.
- Write the new contents back to the file
You should skip opening, “activate”, “python”, “python2” etc
That’s it. You should be able to activate the ENV.
I have released a new, simple tool built with Python.
Pretty Print JSON allows you to easily take ugly JSON, make it pretty, then print it out (and save it)
pip install pretty_print_json